PoMoCo 2.0 Beta!

Been working on this for a long time! We’re now launching our beta for PoMoCo 2.0, and everything is now on github:
github.com/ArcBotics/PoMoCo-2

There’s still a bit of work to be done to make it shippable, but its usable enough now that we would definitely rather use it than the original, so we’re releasing it to the public for testing.

We’ve totally revamped the GUI, here’s the current state of things:

There’s a lot of other neat features:
[ul]
[li]OS-dependent display for consistency[/li]
[li]existing PoMoCo 1.0 functions[/li]
[li]Robust Serial connection[/li]
[li]intelligently queries the OS for serial ports[/li]
[li]capable of auto-sorting serial ports based on likelihood of servotor32[/li]
[li]auto-detect when connection dropped[/li]
[li]auto-connect button[/li]
[li]offer multiple connection options[/li]
[li]reports servotor32 firmware version[/li]
[li]arduino move code generator[/li]
[li]console window built-in - redirects stdout[/li]
[li]servo offset calibration wizard[/li][/ul]

That said, we would really love your help! We’re going to be tracking all our issues and features using github and working to actively integrate pull requests, so pitch an issue/feature suggestion:

… or roll your sleeves up and start coding! Even if its just adding an awesome move you made, we’re happy for all the help we can get. Go Team Open Source!

More information:

Running the source

How PoMoCo works

Roadmap

doesn’t work on Windows 8 :frowning:

What’s not working for you?

Has anyone tried to get this running on Linux yet?

Also, I had some problems getting the center points set on my servos I recently replaced. I fell back to the original and changing offsets worked fine. I did not have time to look further as to a cause, so take this with a grain of salt for now.

And last - is this thread the best place for reports or would you prefer someplace else?

This is a good place. Direct issues should be submitted on github:
github.com/ArcBotics/PoMoCo-2/issues/

Here is a quick report for my first run under Linux. I’m using Linux Mint 17.1. I verified Python 2.7.x as well as Pyserial and wxgtk were installed. After that, I extracted PoMoCo 2 and navigated to it in a terminal and used “python PoMoCo.py” to launch it.

Keep in mind I do not have my Hexy with me. I did have an arduino mini so I loaded the Servotor firmware to it and used it as sort of a ‘surrogate’ for testing. So while many of the functions seemed to work, I can’t tell for sure until I get home and test with my Hexy.

The GUI worked for the most part. The image of Hexy was missing from the main screen. Not sure why yet. Also, even with the window maximized I could not see the lower part of the screen on my 1366x768 screen. Resizing to a smaller window caused greater loss. If I remember correctly the window worked properly on Windows 7 with this same screen. Other functionality seemed to be working. PoMoCo connected to the arduino and retrieved the firmware version. The GUI showed the servos enabling and disabling, but I will have to wait until I get home to see if they really did it. The menu items came up and did what they were supposed to do - start a wizard, open a web page, open a save or load dialogue, etc.

Overall not bad, but definitely needs work under Linux.

I was able to test Hexy under Linux yesterday. Connection was OK - no notable problems. The centering wizard worked OK, but some of the servos not being adjusted jittered from time to time. When I tried basic moves - get up, forward, back, point, type, etc - there was a definite lag as the move was executed. It was consistent with most moves, but the lag itself varied from one execution to another. In other words, a forward move might lag quite a bit while the next forward move would have less of a lag, Or the other way around.

By the time I got through testing in Linux my batteries had drained to the point I could not do the same test in windows. Anyone else seeing issues of a similar nature there?

This looks great (same for the roadmap).

I’ve tried to run this on OS X (Yosemite), but am getting the following error (wxPython with Carbon was downloaded from wxpython.org/download.php):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "PoMoCo.py", line 1, in <module>
    import GUI
  File "/Users/johanpretorius/code-lab/robotics/PoMoCo-2/GUI.py", line 2, in <module>
    import wx
  File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from wx._core import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
    import _core_
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

What computer are you running it on?

This is on a Macbook Pro (I’ve installed Python 2.7.9 with Homebrew).

I also managed to get the GUI to start and connect to Hexy on Linux (Crunchbang, a Debian variant).

But it’s not operating nearly as smoothly as on OS X (PoMoCo V1). And the robot image is also not loading as you’ve mentioned.

Thanks for the additional Linux testing. I thought I might be the only one. :slight_smile:

I am getting an error on my Macbook Pro

Last login: Fri May 29 14:18:56 on ttys002 Wayne-Moulton-Jrs-MacBook-Pro-Retina:~ WaynesMac$ cd '/Users/WaynesMac/Downloads/PoMoCo-2-master/' && '/usr/local/bin/pythonw' -d '/Users/WaynesMac/Downloads/PoMoCo-2-master/PoMoCo.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1 Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/WaynesMac/Downloads/PoMoCo-2-master/PoMoCo.py", line 1, in <module> import GUI File "/Users/WaynesMac/Downloads/PoMoCo-2-master/GUI.py", line 2, in <module> import wx File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module> from wx._core import * File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module> import _core_ ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find: /usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

Ideas?

I’m experiencing the same issue as SagesOfRPG. Wondering if there’s any pointers? It seems to be an issue with loading the wxPython Carbon.

I’ve installed the latest version (wxPython3.0-osx-carbon-py2.7) and am getting a very similar error:

File "PoMoCo.py", line 1, in <module> import GUI File "/Applications/Arduino-Robots/PoMoCo-2/GUI.py", line 2, in <module> import wx File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module> from wx._core import * File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module> import _core_ ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find: /usr/local/lib/wxPython-3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_carbon/wx/_core_.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

I am also having the exact same issues as the previous two posters.
I am using a iMac running the OS X 10.10.3, Python 2.7.10 and wxPython 3.0.2.0.

Same issues as the previous 3 or 4 posters on macbook pro 10.10.5