Servotor Update Error Solution

CAVEAT: Although I have much experience programming microcontrollers and other hardware, I am new to Arduino. Feel free to correct any errors in this post.

I have found the possible cause and solution to the problem of updating the Servotor firmware:

“error: buffer memory access not supported. Maybe it isn’t a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device.”

It appears that the Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment) software reboots the Servotor board. It appears, also, that this causes Windows to load the board’s bootloader driver, then the board driver. Because windows automatically assigns COM ports to new hardware, this causes a problem, especially if one changes the COM port of the Servotor board, once booted. I was able to catch this on my Win-7 Ultimate 64-bit machine. I was initially trying to update the Servotor board with a much less powerful, yet portable, netbook.

I unplugged Hexy. With Window’s Device Manager open and the Ports branch of the hardware tree expanded, I quickly clicked on the Servotor device and changed the Com Port. This did cause Windows to display a warning message regarding duplicate port numbers causing errors. I ignored the error and changed the port. My next attempt to update the Servotor firmware was successful.

Post Script:

I had originally made this post: Many Issues: Almost Everything to attempt to address this and other issues. The reply, made by roboalchemist was 10% helpful and only repackaged the very terse information on the wiki, Hexy set-up guide, and the forum.

To the Powers-That-Be:

Please make an attempt to flesh-out the information in the aforementioned sources and make them a bit more succinct, coherent, and user friendly.