zeroing the servos and saving the offsets

My first try at zeroing the servos following the hexy build didn’t work very well (a couple of the legs just didn’t want to touch the ground). I did the calibration by just eyeballing the alignment. Tweaking the alignment produced only marginally better results.

I’ve redone the zeroing using the following method and everything aligned perfectly the first time:
I used a steel rod (extracted from an old 3D printer, but any long straightedge will work) to line up the feet on opposing legs. This set the hip servos into position. The other two servos on each leg were aligned using a machinist’s rule to verify the tops of the screws on the centerline of the leg were at the same elevation from the table. After aligning and saving the offsets, I had the hexy stand up and then checked each foot by trying to slide a piece of paper between the foot and the table (the paper should not be able to slide under the foot). No further adjustments have been necessary and no servos have died due to load imbalances (knock on wood). :smiley: