Android Development?

Unlike Apple the Bluetooth interface on Android is open :slight_smile:

Is there an Android app in development? How will hexy receive commands over bluetooth? Is there a generalized command list? Doesn’t seem hard at all to develop a simple app for Android in under a day. A simple app that has 6 buttons, forward, backwards, left, right, and rotate.

I too support the development of Android control, and I would have no problem paying for such an app.

I am currently working on the iOS app, but looking into building on a cross platform IDE to bring it to both OSs. But if someone beats me to it, I will gladly step back and let them build it for Android.

While we wholly support android app development, we have to leave this to the community at the moment. We’d love to make the app ourselves, but we’re pretty busy manufacturing a few robots.

John,

The Samsung Galaxy SIII is perfectly acceptable for Android development (as would be the same for any android phone or tablet). Indepth tutorials can be found here: http://developer.android.com/index.html. If you’re new to Android development, I’d suggest that you read up on that website and start to work your way through some of the examples to get used to the programming environment.

Best of luck!

You can also use a framework like Unity (C#) or Marmalade (C++) or Mono for Android instead of the NDK.

I am pretty sure that the first two have Open Source licences and google says that BlueTooth and Python integration is possible (I don’t know how hard, though)

I don’t know as much about the last one.

I might be as simple as getting a license for Marmamade, writing/finding the bluetooth integration and adding in the python library. Then again, anything sounds easy at a very high level :frowning:

It might be simpler to set up the bluetooth on a PC (laptop) listening on a TCP/IP port and forwarding the commands to Hexy. That would make it simple to write the controller on the mobile device and all the bluetooth and python would be on the PC.

Good Luck,
Ralph

I’m not a developer myself, but maybe this could help?
play.google.com/store/apps/deta … m.cellbots

At least you wouldn’t be starting from scratch (it’s open source).

[quote=“arko”][u]Unlike Apple the Bluetooth interface on Android is open :slight_smile:

Is there an Android tablet pc app in development? How will hexy receive commands over bluetooth? Is there a generalized command list? Doesn’t seem hard at all to develop a simple app for Android in under a day. A simple app that has 6 buttons, forward, backwards, left, right, and rotate[/u].[/quote]

I’m learning ruby on rails for website development and I know ruby on rails is different from ruby but through RoR, I’m sure I’ll pick up basic Ruby. Thinking of the future, I might want to go into ios and android development, and I’m wondering whether or not Ruby knowledge has any application in ios or android development. Can you develop ios and android apps in ruby?